Growing up in Hayes in the 50s and 60s

1950s childhood hayes middlesex hillingdon


Everyday life in Hayes during the 50�s and 60�s like most other areas was a lot different than than it is today, particularly as I remember it having spent my childhood there.

Nowadays children seem to take so much for granted, I know mine do in this age of computers, videos and the like. The norm in toys in those days at least for boys anyway were train sets, Dinky Toys or cowboy outfits. I suppose my earliest recollection of the area was when I was about four or five years old, having spent a spell in Hillingdon Hospital during 1953 in the old Peter Pan children�s ward on the corner of Royal Lane. I know this was not really classed as Hayes but at the time it served as the main hospital for the area, situated on the north side of the road, before the high rise new building on the south side had been built. There was of course Hayes Cottage Hospital in the then winding Grange Road which was a nasty bend at the best of times, before it was altered, but it did not have the facilities that Hillingdon had.

Incredibly the old Peter Pan ward with its wooden exterior is still standing although now boarded-up. The highlight in the hospital at that time was watching the Queen�s Coronation crowded around a somewhat tiny black and white television screen a far cry from the surround sound of today. I can remember my mum and dad collecting me from hospital and taking me shopping, after which we would go for a ride on the trolley bus which used to run from Shepherds Bush and turn around at the White Hart at Hayes End. I can still see the pantograph type cables strung up in the air, which always reminded me of the dodgems at the fair it was either that or a ride on the Green Line single-decker which went into London. Another fascinating era now long gone were the steam trains, on many an occasion my grandfather would walk me over Hayes Station bridge just as a train passed under, you could hardly see your hand in front of you. During the early fifties life did not seem perhaps so comfortable as it is today, for instance not many of what I would call average families at least in our area possessed a car, television or even a telephone. I myself had been brought up on the Townfield estate which had been built during the 1920�s. Prior to their modernisation in later years most of the houses on the estate had coal fires and I can remember getting up in the morning, no central heating like today or indeed any fitted carpets, just cold linoleum and slip mats. I will never forget the chilblains we used to get in the winter, mum would cover our toes with �Gon� which came in a small round green tin, this combined with �Vick� rubbed on our chests made it uncomfortably greasy to go to bed. We were usually being dosed up with one thing or another, sometimes it was a spoonful of Virol either that or Cod Liver Oil,(I can still taste it).

Shilling for the gas

The house was absolutely freezing until mum cleaned out the grate and lit the fire. The kitchen had a stone floor and to one side was the larder next to this the coal cupboard, by which the coalman had to cross the kitchen to empty his sacks into. We usually ordered our coal from Cades, whose office was at the foot of Hayes Station Bridge, the small round building which is now a mini-cab office.

To get hot water was like something from a carry on film, in the bathroom we had a geyser which you had to light and always went bang. If this was not working mum would boil up saucepans of water and pour into the tin baths in front of the fire. I can also remember many occasions when everyone was hunting around or knocking neighbours doors for a shilling for the gas or electric meter. Even washing was very different from today, no washing machine, shirt collars for instance were scrubbed on the wooden draining board with a large bar of soap. All the towels etc; were put into a boiling tub called a copper and plunged under with a copper stick. 1950s cowboy childhood hayes middlesex hillingdon

The roads as well were obviously nowhere near as busy as they are today, only what we would call the main roads such as the Uxbridge Road, Church Road and Coldharbour Lane etc. Many a time we would play football in our road where we would use our coats or jumpers as goalposts and you would not have seen a car for several hours, now of course virtually every house has a car some more than one. One thing that did used to fascinate us was the man from Hayes and Harlington Council who used to come around on his motorcycle combination complete with ladder to check the street lamps. Every year in the weeks leading up to Guy Fawkes night we would start to collect rubbish from all the surrounding houses ready for our huge bonfire which we had every year in the centre of Townfield Square. These were the days when all the neighbours knew each other and all pitched in letting us cut down trees and donating all manner of items such as chairs, wood boxes and virtually anything that would burn, nowadays some people don�t even know who their neighbours are. During the summer months some of the men from around the local roads got together on Townfield Square for a game of cricket, on many occasions play was held up when the ball ended up on the roof of the rent office, which is now a community centre and nursery.

Having already mentioned that this was the age of the steam train, it was always an adventure to go and watch the trains. I think we all did our fair share of train spotting. Besides the main line trains on the Great Western Railway, there was also the small shunting engine which belonged to the EMI which used to frequently trundle across Blyth Road going about its daily business. And of course the engine belonging to the B.E.T. which crossed Station Road next to the canal where a level crossing was situated, this crossed the road about where until fairly recently a Saturday market was held. Next to this on the corner of Clayton Road stood the �Railway Arms�, where the �Tumbler� now stands. On the other corner adjacent to this was a large car park which was later developed into the large office block of Avis car rental.

The railway was not the only area of interest which fascinated us as children the canal saw much commercial traffic during the 1950�s and early 1960�s before its decline with the introduction of motorways and the onslaught of the juggernauts. I used to marvel at the horses making their way along the towpath pulling the barges which would be laden with all manner of goods such as timber, coal and many other commodities. Following the phasing out of the horse many companies began using a small tractor which resembled the quad bikes which you see today. We used to spend many hours walking along the canal towpath watching all the various activities which were taking place connected with the numerous industries which were situated along the canal at that time all of which have sadly now gone. A favourite spot was just past Bull�s Bridge where British Waterways had their workshops and dry dock it was a marvellous sight to watch the brightly coloured narrow boats, decked out with their flowers and shining brass being manoeuvred somewhat precisely into here for repairs. I am pleased to see that these narrow boats are making a comeback albeit mainly for pleasure rather than commercial as there is nothing more serene than seeing these wonderful boats gliding down the canal. There were two large timber yards along the canal during the 1950�s,the first was Horsley Smiths at Dawley, this was near to the Woolpack on the western side of the road, when I was at school an uncle of mine who worked there used to bring me home small offcuts of wood which I used to use as building blocks. 1950s scout childhood hayes middlesex hillingdon

Woolf's rubber

This firm later became known as Hewetson�s who were renowned for their flooring and eventually moved away from the area after which the site was redeveloped into Alcan Metals, which in turn in more recent years has been demolished and now forms part of the Stockley Park Estate. The other major timber yard was James Davis which stood near the T.A.centre on the north side of the Uxbridge Road, just as you enter Southall.

There was a serious fire here at one time which I remember very well, which virtually destroyed the whole site, when fire crews from miles around were called in to tackle the blaze. There was in fact another timber firm on the south side of the road called Victoria Sawmills near to Woolf�s Rubber Factory although it was not actually on the canal. Between here and Bull�s Bridge, which is on the Paddington arm of the canal, lay the huge Great Western Railway sleeper depot, which I believe during the first world war was used for the storage of coffins. The railway was not the only area of interest which fascinated us as children the canal saw much commercial traffic during the 1950�s and early 1960�s before its decline with the introduction of motorways and the onslaught of the juggernauts. Between the canal bridge in Station Road and Dawley bridge there were several other significant industries at that time including Wakefields who were well known for their Castrol Oil and the British Electric Transformer Co. or B.E.T. as it was affectionately known, which later became Crompton Parkinson. The B.E.T. were responsible for making many of the huge transformers for power stations and the like, we would watch in amazement sometimes as the mighty Pickfords push and pull heavy haulage lorries attempted to negotiate their way out of the factory and along the somewhat narrow roads. Indeed my mother had worked here together with some of my aunts although during the war years like many other factories they were involved in the manufacture of items for the war effort.

There was also Harrisons the printers well known amongst other things for the printing of postage stamps although the entrance was in Printing House Lane they also had their own dock, one of several docks along this stretch of the canal which has since been filled in. I remember seeing all the drums stacked there by the side of the dock, presumably these would have contained dyes or inks for printing. At the time we used to play around this area there were already some changes taking place regarding some of the old buildings, such as the demolition had begun on the old Clayton Road School which stood on the site of where until recently the Direct Line Insurance workshops were on the corner of Printing House Lane and Clayton Road, I can still picture the green railings which surrounded this. I also recall an old cottage which stood directly opposite the Blue Anchor, this lay derelict for some time and although looking back it must have been dangerous we had great fun clambering around inside trying to avoid falling through the somewhat fragile plaster and lathe ceilings. Before the bridge by the Blue Anchor was rebuilt, the old bridge had a gate across it which only allowed pedestrians through, this was only opened at the start and end of the shifts for the vast amount of employees at the EMI during its heyday.

Behind the Woolpack

There were several other factories within the vicinity of the canal, such as the �X�Chair in Silverdale Road, makers of the world famous folding chair among other things, not to mention Walls well known for their meats and of course their sausages. Others included Callard and Bowsers, sweet manufacturers and B.I.C.C. British Insulated Calenders Cables. Not forgetting the huge EMIcomplex although some of the buildings have now gone, several of the major ones still remain one wonders for how much longer. As I already mentioned we spent many hours playing along the towpath another area in particular which used to be a favourite spot was directly behind the Woolpack, a large hilly area we always called the �pack-hills�,I have no idea as to where the name originated, but I do know they provided us with plenty of fun. From the north side of these where it levelled out one could go across the fields which we knew as the EMI. fields, I think we used to call them that as although most of the fields were under cultivation then, there were several small areas particularly on the Dawley Road side which had been fenced off where the EMI had small huts on top of which were mounted some type of aerial transmitters,(some of these enclosures can still be seen although the equipment is now obsolete).

Continuing across the fields at a north easterly angle one would come out at a gate at the end of Botwell Common Road/junction Botwell Lane, just inside the gate here stood a very large barn constructed of corrugated iron painted black which of course we knew as the black barn. 1950s coach bus childhood hayes middlesex hillingdon At that time it was partly derelict and was being used for the storage of road salt for the winter, other than the odd piece of rusting farm machinery I think it had virtually seen its days, however its vast interior always echoed to the sound of the multitudes of swallows which nested high up in the eaves. This barn slowly started to deteriorate before finally being demolished. Walking a short distance across the road to the other side of Botwell Lane which is now open parkland was �Shackles Lake�, all this land including Lake House having belonged to the Shackle family. Although I cannot imagine why it was called a lake as I always remember it as something more like a swamp as it was full of all manner of rubbish and smelt terrible, we often used to place planks of wood across it and see who could get to the other side without getting a �booty� (wet feet), although it did have an abundance of bullrushes so it must have been a decent lake at some time. Having said this most of this stretch was something of an eyesore at the time including the Botwell Lane end of Compton Road right up to Forris Avenue, which was just wasteland and a notorious dumping ground, only with the building of the present flats and maisonettes did this area improve.

Climbing trees and the park-keeper!

By far some of the most exciting times I recall as a child were during the summer months when the various fun fairs used to visit the area. I would think the most attended and probably still is was the fair and fete in Barra Hall Park,or Town Hall Park as we knew it. The Town Hall being used as the council offices prior to the formation of the London Borough of Hillingdon when they moved to the Civic Centre in Uxbridge. Behind the Town Hall were the parks department glasshouses used for the raising of plants for parks around the area, this site is now occupied by Social Services and the Housing Department. The park itself always had a colourful display of plants, of course in those days most parks had their own park keeper, whereby one was definitely not permitted to ride cycles and many a time we were chased off for climbing the trees, oh! how times change I don�t think there are even any gates on the Freeman�s Lane entrance now. However once a year the park was transformed upon the arrival of the fair as it still does the fair always occupied the west side of the park between what was then the paddling pool,(now a children�s play area)and the bandstand, while the north and east side was reserved for the fete and special attractions. The fete itself gave all the local charities and organisations the opportunity to display their talents and goods while at the same time raising some cash for their funds. These more often than not would consist of tombolas, plant and book stalls and the like, not to mention throwing wet sponges at the reluctant volunteer in the �stocks�, and of course china smashing.

Having said this some groups did on occasion come up with new ideas, I remember one year my scout group, 9th Hayes Air Scouts, had the novel idea of bringing along an old car and charged 1/- for so many hits with a sledge hammer,, one way to vent your anger I suppose. It may be worth mentioning here that at that time the park was not quite as large as it is now, having been extended in recent years to incorporate a further gate at the eastern most end of Freeman�s Lane. Other than this Freeman�s Lane itself has not changed much over the past forty or so years, with the exception of the demolition of the cottages at the Church Road end in 1959. I do remember there used to be a ditch running along the park side with a black and white railing in front, this I remember only too well having fell in it one year, my mum went mad and I smelt for a week. The fair always used to open on a Friday night and close on the Saturday night,the following Sunday morning would see my friends and I up bright and early to make our way to the park, where we would search around where the stalls had been set up on the lookout for coins dropped by the visitors the day before. We would then struggle home with our pockets full of pennies and threepenny bits, and if we were really lucky the odd shilling or two shilling piece. When I look back now I realise how heavy those old pennies were in comparison to todays lp. This was and of course still is the day of Hayes Carnival, I have always admired the time and effort that goes into the colourful floats which I came to realise

Many fine bands

During my time with the 9th Hayes Air Scouts when we had a float entered one year, but we surpassed ourselves I like to think with the help of our scout leader �Doc�Wooton. At this time during the late 50�s the carnival used to form in Keith Road, which was always led by the Town Cryer a Mr.Charlie Tamplin (who was the father-in-law of one of my neighbours),with him there was also a chap always dressed as Charlie Chaplin, very good may I add, although his name escapes me During it�s time there have been many fine bands involved including the notable Dagenham Girl Pipers. Many of the local firms would offer their lorries etc,. for decoration, three such firms that spring to mind were Everley Bros,. Annis and J.H. Moore. Annis vehicles were the huge push and pull heavy haulage lorries and if I remember rightly their family lived in the large house on the left just inside Holmbury Gardens, although their yard was in Pump Lane near enough opposite Joe Moore�s yard. On leaving Keith Road it would turn left over the station bridge along Station Road and through Hayes Town,, where everything would come to a standstill. On reaching the Uxbridge Road it then turned left and made it�s way to Grange Road where it would wind its way into the back of the park, we called this the back but in actual fact it was the main entrance to the Town Hall. Of course in recent years the route has been altered several times following the introduction of width restrictors, speed humps and the like, not to mention the pedestrianisation of the town.

Although the annual fair in Barra Hall Park was by far the most significant, it was by nnno means the only one during the year,, before the building of Hayes Swimming Pool there was often a fair held here when we knew it as Botwell Green. And just across the road in the grounds of Botwell House there was the annual Irish Fair, where you had to pay to enter. I remember one year it was a western theme and if a child arrived dressed as either a cowboy or an Indian they were admitted free, I can recall marching up Central Avenue dressed as Davy Crockett complete with raccoon hat, thia was always a colourful event in particular the western one with it�s barbeques and naturally beans with everything. By the early 1960�s the fair which had been on Botwell Green, usually Stevens Fair, (Joe Stevens had a magnificent articulated caravan trailer), had been re-located to the Uxbridge Road on the former green which ran along opposite where the former Waitrose supermarket was, prior to the building of the present flats and maisonettes.This fair had also on occasion been sited in the field which lies diagonally opposite the Adam and Eve. We would always look forward to going to the Saturday morning matinee at the Ambassador cinema in East Ave, mum would give me half a crown, about 12 1//2 p today, on the way we would stop at the Handy Shop in East Avenue opposite the �rec�, which until recently was a glass shop. Here we would buy a few halfpenny shrimps and blackjacks and sometimes a �jubly� a triangular shaped ice lolly (whatever happened to those) we would then carry on to the pictures where it cost 9d for admission, so I still had change from half a crown. These Saturday morning matinees were always good fun if not noisy where the usual films included either Hop-a long Cassidy, Davy Crockett or the Little Rascals. In between they would have sing-a-longs whereby the words would appear on the screen, usually Robin Hood or Davy Crockett, I think I know the words of these off by heart.

The Coffee Bean

On several occasions the audience was entertained by Coco the clown from Bertram Mills Circus at Olympia, he was a wonderful man who used to give road safety instruction and always carried a walking stick which was in the shape of a belisha beacon. I believe the last film we saw there when it closed down was �Swiss Family Robinson� with John and Hayley Mills. It stood derelict for quite some time before finally being demolished to make way for the present telephone exchange. There were other cinemas in the area including the Corinth on the Uxbridge Road between Gledwood Drive and Lansbury Drive. This always seemed a cold, drab cinema, I think some older residents used to refer to it as the �flea pit�.

When this was pulled down the present Colman House was built, at the bottom of which was caf� called the Coffee Bean, this was a regular haunt of the bikers during the �Mods and Rockers� era, and you would very often see rows of motorcycles lined up outside and hear the music coming from the duke box. The other cinema was further along next door to Waitrose, which is now a bingo hall, this we knew as the Savoy, but I believe it was later known as the Essoldo, this was still in use as a cinema in the 60�s as I remember seeing the first James Bond films here. Hayes Town and it�s shops There appears to be much controversy nowadays regarding the present Hayes Town with it�s pedestrianisation, during the 50�s and 60�s however it was of course very much different, when Colharbour Lane ran straight through into Station Road. There were I think more of a variety of shops to choose from than there are today, stretching from the Broadway along to the canal, the majority of which have now gone, many firms indeed had more than one branch in the town. If for instance we began at the Royal Standard, as it was then known, which is called the Kings Arms, about the third name change in recent years, and walked in a southerly direction on the west side of the road, the first building was the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Next to this at no; 99 was a newsagents by the name of Springles, this firm also had another shop in East Avenue which is now Rogers Hairdressers.

I had my first paper round from Springles, and I can remember during the very bad winter of 1963 trudging through snow-drifts as high as gate posts to deliver the newspapers, I think that was the first and only time I had ever seen buses with snow chains on their wheels. This shop later changed to a newsagents called Snapes and is now a window firm. Next door was a boot repair shop while at nos; 91-93 was the store of John Blundells, here one could buy furniture and other goods on H. P. A little further along was the well known cycle shop of Mal Rees, who later moved further along up on the same side of the road. Next to Mal Rees was the Standard Shoe Repair Shop, while the double premises next to this belonged to Moore and Son, who also had premises further along at nos;23-29, this was a very old Hayes firm who only within recent years have closed down. Among other well established businesses along this side of the road were Atkinson Bros. D.I.Y. Store, Bristows the Butchers, later Dewhurst and of course Lakes, who again had another shop in East Avenue at the western end of the alleyway which runs through from Coldharbour Lane.At one time a mobile shop operated from the rear of Lakes run by the name of Gerry, unfortunately his surname escapes me, I had worked with him for a while delivering groceries to mainly pensioners on the Pinkwell and Bourne Avenue estates. Next to this was Lilleys, which although has changed hands still retains its name. At no;51 was Alex Greengrocers run by Alex Sutherland and his wife Sally, this was a very popular and busy greengrocers where my father had worked for some years after leaving another well known greengrocers Gerrards. While I was at school I sometimes worked here part time on a Friday evenings and Saturdays for which I think I was paid about 15/-, most of the time was spent tearing up newspapers and hanging on hooks to wrap the vegetables up in, people used to donate all their unwanted piles of newspapers to greengrocers and fish shops for this purpose.

My first Dinky toys

Either that or stacking the bins up, everything was looses then, no pre-packed fruit and veg, I can also recall the bananas would arrive in long wooden boxes with clips on which were very heavy. Next to this was Bayles Plumbers, which later became Fowlers China Shop, and Frank Barry photographer. At no;45 was Hayes Pet Shop run by Ruby Cooper and her sister, Mrs. Cooper was a rather portly no-nonsense lady who lived in a large house known as the �White House� by the canal bridge at Norwood Green, near the entrance to the R.S.P.C.A. Cat Centre.Very often we would go along to the shop just to see the menagerie of animals within awaiting homes, there were of course not such stringent regulations then regarding the buying and selling of pets as there are now. Then we had Busbys Carpets who are still going and have been in Hayes for many years, followed by Lincolns the fishmongers where you could buy all manner of fresh fish, not to mention live eels and crabs. Lincolns also had a shop in Eat Avenue, near to Springles which sold delicious fried fish and chips.

Back to Coldharbour Lane now and near to Lincolns we had the hairdressers of George Tompkins followed by Greens Leather Stores and Freewin and Ellis the Opticians. Coming to the end of this side of the road nos; 1-7 and 13 were the large stores of the L.C.S. including gents outfitters, drapers, fruiterers and grocers in between these were Brixeys Opticians at no;11 and Brixeys Jewellers at no; 9. The L.C.S. also hhhad the chemist on the corner of Pump Lane and the Master Cleaners at no; 14 two doors from here. While we are now on the east side of Coldharbour Lane we can work our way back down towards the Royal Standard starting with Curtiss shoe shop which is now Shoefayre, this shop had also been in Hayes for some years, I know I went to school at Minet in the early 50�s with the son of the manager at that time whose surname was Sternheim. Next door to here at nos; 18-20 was Hayes Novelty Stores which prior to this had been further down at no; 38 where Cains Funeral Directors nnnow is, another old Hayes firm, Cains having moved here from across the road at no; 15 when Hayes Novelty Stores occupied no; 38 in the early 50�s it was a marvelous toy shop, where I can recall buying my first Dinky Toys, many of which I wish I had kept as they demand very high prices nowadays. Going back slightly nos; 22-24 were the premises of Penningtons Outfitters where we went to obtain our school uniforms, along from here next to the Central Hall was Cogswells who were a corn, seed and garden merchant, they always had masses of stock arranged outside the shop on the path. I remember going here to buy split peas (pigeon food I believe) for my pea-shooter, looking back a somewhat dangerous �toy� like the catapault which you don�t see nowadays but were quite easily available in the 50�s and 60�s.

At the end of this parade on the corner of Fairdale Gardens, which is at present a hire shop stood Rowleys who sold all types of cycles, they also had a music and record shop further back along Coldharbour Lane on the Broadway between Minet Drive and Birchway. Upon reaching the junction with Station Road and Botwell Lane there were several shops of interest here beginning with the Copper Kettle, a rather nice little caf� which later became known as the Silver Spoon. Outside here stood the familiar blue police call box, (such as in Dr. Who), next to which was an air raid siren, a cylindrical shaped machine mounted on top of a long green pole, there were several of these around the area, another of which I recall stood at the top of Church Road opposite the Adam and Eve.Working our way around the corner you had Boots the chemists and Williams Brothers grocers occupying nos; 4-8 which always caught your eye with its green fa�ade, my mother did most of her weekly shopping here in the days when most groceries were carried home in paper carrier bags with string handles, how they used to cut into your hands when heavy, and if the bottom got wet nothing short of disaster. Just after this was Harringtons the bakers and yet another shoe repairers by the name of Betta Shu Repairs.

1950s girl childhood hayes middlesex hillingdon

Dolly Dowman in the sweetshop

Across the road on the south side starting from Botwell House were Elms the newsagents, followed by Spratleys Electrical, in actual fact their old red neon sign was still visible until the recent demolition of this block. Next to this was gents outfitters by the name of Hartrees, followed by Clare�s Drapers, the Premier Fruit Stores and F.H. Mills Opticians. At no;11 stood Harolds who stocked toys, models, train sets, sports equipment and leather goods. Next door at nos; 7-9 were Clarke Bros. The butchers next to which was Huttons the fishmonger and then Stricksons, who besides being a confectioner also did coach bookings. We then came to the well known local greengrocers shop of Wally Barter. On turning the bend and passing the Queen�s Hall Methodist Church in Station Road, was the large store of Burtons Tailors, above which was the snooker hall, next to this was a rather small sweet shop by the name of D. Dowman, I am not quite sure what the D. stood for but we always called the lady Dolly Dowman. Here you could get all types of sweets such as sherbert lemons, humbugs aand aniseed balls loose from the jars. Beyond here the building which is now McDonalds, was the large hardware store called Paynes, on many an occasion we visited the upper floor of this shop where their toy department was situated to buy the rolls of caps for our toy pistols.

On passing the rear access road was Moss the chemist, who are still there today followed by Ardell ladies and childrens wear at nos;32-36. After this was yet another newsagents known as the Popular then the greengrocers called the Hole-in-the-Wall, and a butchers by the name of Whichello, while just past St. Anselms Church was the well known linen shop of Posners. On the opposite side of Station Road wwwhere Argos now stands was the Hayes Working Mens Club,, or to give it it�s correct name Sandgate Hall, this stood back from the road and upon it�s demolition was re-located to it�s present site in Pump Lane. We must not of course forget to mention Woolworths, who again have had a branch in Hayes Town for a good many years. I can remember when I was very young my mother taking me there, I recall most of the walls and surfaces were either tiled or marble, and you could buy biscuits loose which were kept in large aluminium tins stacked behind the counter, no self service then, these were then weighed out into paper bags, not plastic like today. Even cheese was cut from a slab with cheese wire with a wooden handle. We looked forward to a piece of cheese on a Sunday evening with salad, either that or winkles from Lincolns, we knew when we were having winkles as mum would put the tin of needles on the table. There were of course many other shops as well which I have not mentioned such as Kingstons the butchers, Youngs the newsagents as well as several more shoe shops to name but a few, but I think I have mentioned the many that I myself remember during the 50�s and 60�s.

Photo captions:

1. Me with my three-wheeler, which came from Rowleys about 1958, mum said it was fine until I started messing about with it (note the braces)

2. Cowboys and Indians, me and my late sister, the wigwam came from Paynes, the oufits from Harolds and the guns and caps from the Novelty Shop, about 1960

3. Me in my 9th Hayes Air Scout uniform with my late sister early 60's

4. The annual family outing to the seaside about 1954, that's me in the front, dad always insisted on me being well turned out, hence the school cap and dickie bow tie, this was Southend I think.

5. My late sister munching a savaloy outside Lilleys Grocers in Coldharbour Lane about 1960

- Part Two of Barry Raymond's recollections of Hayes

- Special Features index