AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm 

Question for all you AEC fans out there about Volvo.
I understand that from about 1972 to 2001 Scotland had a commercial vehicle maker caled Volvo. I know that Ailsa Truck/Ailsa Bus later Volvo Great Britain built all rigid-8 Volvo Lorries, all Ailsa and Citybus, all but a few RHD -market B6, B6LE and B6BLE, and every Volvo Olympian in their Irvine, Ayrshire factory. I think that they also assembled some B10M coaches and single deck buses for the UK. Does anybody here have a rough indication of how many B10Ms they built and did Leyland Bus (Workington) assemble any B10Ms?
I need to know this because I am beginning to catalogue the huge amount of images donated to the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust. As of Febraury 2nd I am 300-prints in to several thousand. As Volvo GB are a local maker, every picture of an Ailsa, Citybus, Volvo Olympian etc is a core print for us regardless of who owned it and where it was working. In my first sort I forgot this and of the 7000 or so prints not in the first box for cataloguing are numerous Tayside Ailsas and Citybuses and a number of Strathtay and Lothian Volvo Olympians.
As an additional question in this ‘other marques’ in-box, does anyone remember the 1997 STTS west-coast road-run from Dumfreis to Oban? I have several pictures of it and some locations are elusive.
Best wishes
Stephen Allcroft
Cardross
Scotland.