AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: AEC RT WANTED
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:37 pm 

John, read the whole thread Old Chap, it was CAV who suggested that some folk let the vehicles idle to charge the batteries. I just agreed that some people do try it. Of course a dynamo system does not throw out the amps at low revs like an alternator.

Rust, legislation, lack of spares, storage, wood decay, modern fuel are all here to threaten the survival of these old machines. Most of which we enthusiasts can over come or mitigate the effects of. The biggest risk will be a lack of enthusiasts to take 'em on and care for 'em. Without them, when the museums are stocked to capacity the Blue Angel awaits to caress those left outside.

Paul Charlwood.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 am 

Pardon begged. I read your writing wrongly.

John

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:13 am 

Another website below which gives an idea of how 'complex' the RT structure is. While some of the woodwork and the metal frame may be quite simple, there are other load bearing panels which are certainly not the sort of item which can be knocked up out of a sheet of 12 gauge in a couple of hours; as can be seen in the photographs. Elsewhere pictures of the cab framework indicate the level of skill required to replicate accurately.

http://blog.rt3316.com/

Having done a quick mental tally of preserved engine failures over the last few years I came up with 14 that I know of. I received a message only a week ago which hinted at there being at least another two.

The fleet vehicle which is 'going soon' has to start and stop ..and be legal. There aren't many fleet engineers around who would sanction major mechanical unit expenditure on something which will still run albeit noisily. I either runs as it is or it goes now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:20 am 

cav551 wrote:
Elsewhere pictures of the cab framework indicate the level of skill required to replicate accurately.

The cab area of RTs framing is wood-only. That would be much in line with non-RT vehicles of the same era which would be wooden-framed throughout so I don't see the issue.

John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 pm 

RTs are a horrible mixture of timber and steel framing with aluminium panels. I've had one since 1991 and keep putting off starting on it. I'm also restoring one for a client and have been 5 years trying to work out the best way of doing various bits as he doesn't want a full restoration either!

RTs will also run out of fuel if left idling as th lift pump only works when the bus is moving, and as already stated, they do not charge when idling!