AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:46 am 

Thinking about doing an engine conversion on a routemaster . Its got a cummins c engine at the moment and I'm considering replacing it with an AV760 . To do this I will need to convert the 760 to a routemaster spec , so I'm looking for a complete donor AV590/690 (doesn't need to be a runner) that has all its fittings such as flywheel , all pumps and reservoirs , alternator , sump and oil take up pipe etc etc etc . Or does anyone just have the parts required 'lying' around ?
Probably best to email me m.allin@sky.com
Thanks
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:21 pm 

In other words you are going to remove a serviceable engine which you can get spare parts for and replace it with one of unknown condition, but which is almost certainly almost fatigue expired and for which you cannot get spare parts.

You will need a lot more than just what you imagine to be the etceteras. Even if you manage to find the cross members needed and drill and tap the block in the correct places, find a crankshaft with the correct number and pcd of flange bolts to mount the flywheel (which you haven't got), and which also has the correct size journals and bearings to suit are found available to go in your AV760 block, you will still have an engine which produces too much torque for the capacity of the transmission.

Yes it has been done before, but normally duff AEC590 out, AEC760 in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:40 pm 

Thanks for the reply !
May not exactly be what I want to see but this detail is helpful when I decide if it is worth doing ! Some of the parts you have mentioned are about . Not sure about the crankshaft issue but thanks for highlighting it , something else to check . Are there any other issues that you are aware of ?
There is a source of remanufactured 760's on the market at the moment , although untried they are unused since remanufacturing . Are these a really bad risk ?
As for the torque on the gearbox , would not a solution be to tone down the fuel pump to a lower output , I certainly don't intend 'racing' the bus or anything like that if the conversion is done !
It would be nicer to put a proper 590/690 in but as you know they are now very old , not common and condition of anything secondhand is going to be very risky . At best secondhand 590's are tired that rules out that option in my opinion hence considering a 760 , there does seem to be a few about.

mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:28 pm 

I notice from elsewhere that you have offered your Cummins engine for sale to someone whose bus used an Iveco engine. From that I gather that the Cummins is in a reasonable running condition. The fact that it, just like the AV 760, will not fit into the recipent bus without many parts that he does not have, seems to be of no concern. In the meantime you wish to waste one of the comparatively rare AV 760 engines on a vanity project; an engine which would be better used by someone who has no option but to fit a 760 as a like-for-like replacement for a failure.