AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:33 pm 

Does anyone have a parts manual that covers the A193 6 cylinder, overhead cam, petrol engine, that they would be prepared to sell me, copy for me, lend me? The engine was fitted to quite a few pre-war lorries and buses, in it's various forms, and I have the engine fitted to my Matador. My main interest is in seeing which parts are the same as other AEC engines, i.e. if there is any possibility to interchange parts from other AEC engines when looking for spares.

Thanks

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:50 pm 

Nick,

I am afraid that there are few parts in common between the AEC A193 and any of the other early diesel engines, the timing chain and tensioner, and possibly the water pump being the only exceptions.
Parts are very rare, I have only ever seen head gaskets, valves and timing chain tensioner units.
The last six known Matador petrol engines were unfortunately scrapped in Manchester after thieves smashed the aluminium sumps, but there must be others hidden away.
I do have an engine service manual for all the AEC engine range dated 1936-39 and you are welcome to a copy of this.

Regards, Martyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:33 pm 

Thanks Martin, I didn't think there would be much common, but you can always hope! I have been offered some engine spares, which will hopefully be picked up fairly soon, and that includes quite a lot of various bits, although they are not new parts, so not everything may be useful. You mentioned that the timing chain is the same as other engines - would you have any details on that, as that is one thing that is on the list to look at, and if it's fairly easy to get a replacement, it seems sensible to change it while doing things to the engine.

And thanks for the offer to copy the engine manual, but I actually have the correct Matador manual, which covers the petrol engined version (see image), so have all the details of the engine, it's just a parts list that covers the 6 cylinder petrol engine that I'm after.

Cheers

Nick

Attachments:
File comment: Petrol Matador Manual
manual cover.JPG
manual cover.JPG [ 74.04 KiB | Viewed 2483 times ]