AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:19 am 

I am sure many vehicle owners on this forum will be aware of the new rules to be implemented requiring tyres of less than ten years old to be fitted to buses and lorries. The result of the consultation was that vehicles in the Historic Tax class would be exempted from this requirement unless they were subject to MoT testing. Owners of large lorries will know, of course, that they are indeed subject to testing unless the vehicle is pre-1960.

Some excellent news came on Friday from the Department of Transport that they will now exempt all vehicles in the Historic Tax class, including hte lorries mentioned above.

Unfortunately, timing is such that the latest FBHVC's newsletter has just been published, reflecting the initial position, and possibly causing some confusion. For clarity, I quote from the DfT:
Quote:
“I can confirm that the new requirement will prohibit the use of a tyre aged 10-years or more on the front axle(s) of a goods vehicle with a gross mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes or on a bus (minibus, bus or coach). In the case of a mini-bus the requirement will apply to all axles where the tyres are fitted in single configuration (not twin wheels).

It will also require that the date of manufacture (or remanufacture in the case of a retreaded tyre) marking remains legible on a tyre fitted to any axle of an affected vehicle.

These new requirements will apply at any time that the vehicle is in use; they will not be conditional on the status of the vehicle in respect of the obligation for annual roadworthiness testing. Enforcement of the requirements may occur at the roadside, or during annual roadworthiness inspections and will apply if (and only if) the vehicle is subject to the new provision.

I can also confirm that, providing that it is not used for commercial purposes, the new requirements will not apply to a vehicle if it:

(a) was manufactured or registered for the first time at least 40 years previously,

(b) is of a type no longer in production, and

(c) has been historically preserved or maintained in its original state and has not undergone substantial changes in the technical characteristics of its main components.”

Do please spread the word. The could save some owners a few shillings!

John Hinson
FBHVC Legislation Committee
(and long-term AEC owner)