AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How can I date my truck?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:11 pm 

Please can anyone help! How can I get my truck an age related number plate, thank you adam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:30 am 

You will need a dating certificate or dating letter based on original information, e.g. manufacturers records. Non-contemporary information such as from books is not acceptable to the DVLA.

John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:38 pm 

Thank you John but how do I go about getting the records/ dating certificate ? Who do I need to see? Ring? Many thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:46 pm 

Thank you John but how do I go about getting the records/ dating certificate ? Who do I need to see? Ring? Many thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:55 am 

Hi Adam,

Much depends on the model and make. Civilian vehicles are easier to date than military. Can you tell us more?

For a date-related registration the DVLA will accept a range of years (they will register a vehicle as the most recent date from that) so even if you can only find hard evidence of the years of manufacture of the particular model you should still be able to get a plate.

I don't know if the AEC Society has an officer that deals with registration applications, but the present-day procedure for obtaining old registrations has to be authorised and verified by a DVLA-nominated society representative. The good news is that any nominated society is obliged to provide this service to non-members so if the AEC Society do not do this you can use any other society.

This downloadable DVLA document may be of help:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... wner-clubs

John

PS - the AEC Society is indeed on that list, contact details on page 21.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 pm 

Adam, which lorry do you have? AEC chassis build sheets are available for civilian and MOD lorries and buses from the British Commercial Vehicle Museum at Leyland in Lancashire.
Details can be found online, and I think it is £25 for a certified copy.
The AEC Society does have a Vehicle Registrar, Andrew Hollingsworth, and he will guide you through the registration process once you become a member of the AEC Society.

Regards, Martyn