AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 pm 

Hi everyone, I've just rebuilt an A219 9.6 litre engine for my Regal IV airport coach MLL738. the engine that was in it was from a scrap RF and suffered a failure on the way to the Isle of Wight a couple of years ago on its second trip since being got running.

I swapped the engine from my other airport bus MLL721 which was a known runner and that runs ok but overheats as the radiator is blocked!

Anyway, the rebuilt engine initially gave an oil pressure of about 120 lb/in on initial startup, dropping to about 80 after a couple of minutes. I installed the engine in the bus and on a couple of test runs pressure was about 60 to start with then dropped to almost nil after about 10 miles. The engine had to come out and I stripped the oil pump. The bypass valve plunger was stuck shut, and there was about 0,8mm slop on the oil pump gears. the book says it should be 0,29mm. so the gears are badly worn.

Does anyone have any of these in stock or know anywhere that can make them at a reasonable price? I can't remember the part number off hand. There's 4 gears in this pump, 2 have keyways and the other 2 plain bushed bearings. I've tried the usual sources like Martyn and other parts dealers I use.

Pictures of the buses and the engine rebuild are on my Facebook page Byeways Vintage Bus Hire.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 pm 

I managed to get a couple of the AB0911 gears from Australia, I now need to find a couple of A20827 drive gears for the oil pump if anyone can help.