AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:55 pm 

At the Oxford Bus Museum we run PWL413 A 1950 Regent 111. The rear hubs were originally oil filled and fitted with a bellows glad to seal in it.
Later a lip type seal was introduced (Regent V appears to be the changeover model) and with this arrangement the rear bearings were packed with grease.
I believe the lip seal proved to be better, more robust and more reliable and so most vehicles were, at some stage converted from glad to lip, seal. PWL has lip seals fitted but has oil in the hubs which constantly leaks out.
Can I just simply strip down,fit new seals, remove all traces of oil and pack with grease.
Would appreciate any advice from people with knowledge of this.

Regards Kevin
P/P Oxford Bus Museum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:13 pm 

I had misread you question so had given details of the Regent V hub arrangement. The Regent III rear hub nut protrudes from the hub so one cannot fit a seal into the hub to run upon the nut. The most common cause of oil seal leakage is a blocked breather. You may need to renew the felt seal on the axle spigot and clean up the outer inner face of the hub upon which it runs. A new felt seal should be coated lightly with engine oil to prevent it burning when first run. The axle should contain 250 grade worm gear oil for bronze gears eg Morris AG 250. Thinner oil may leak.

I am assuming that a spacer/ register to take up the place of the bellows gland for the inner seal to run on is present! Also the nut must be fully tightened against the selective spacing collars between the bearings which adjust the end float. You may find the hub has parallel roller bearings or alternatively taper roller bearings either set up requires the selective distance pieces and a fully tight hub nut.

I do have the seal dimensions, but not to hand this evening. Please look again later in the week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:28 am 

Thanks for the reply cav551.
There is no sealing arrangement on the outer end of the hub where the hub nut sits.
It's the inner hub seal that persistently leaks I assume this was once a bellows gland seal, that's what the Regent III manual shows. (It's before my time) but at some stage this has been converted to a lip seal running on a spacer.
My question is basically If it's ok for the Regent V to have a lip seal and to pack the rear hub bearings with grease to lubricant them (that's what the Regent V manual shows) Would it be ok to pack these - Regent III hub bearings with grease as it now also has a lip seal arrangement.
I 'm thinking a lip seal might not leak grease whereas it definitely does leak oil.
The bearings are taper rollers and all correctly adjusted.
There is a felt seal that sits inside the brake carrier and runs on the outside of the hub. I assume that was fitted to keep dirt/dust out rather than the hubs oil in.

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:45 pm 

If it is the same as the London Regent IIIs I have not heard of the conversion you mention but there is a known successful solution using two lip seals face to face. If you are interested I can put you in touch with somebody who has done this many times. I have a Regal IV so-converted and have experienced no issues.

But as has been said before, your first port of call should be the breather on the diff - this siezes up very easily and then expansion will push oil from the diff along the prop shaft and out through the gland, however good it is. You can't replace that with grease!

John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:52 pm 

That would be great if you could put me in touch with that person.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:18 am 

Kevin Simms wrote:
That would be great if you could put me in touch with that person.

Details sent by PM to you.

Best regards,

John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 pm 

Thanks for that John.

He was most helpful

Kevin