AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:10 pm 

Help please :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

I know this is an AEC forum, but I would appreciated some assistance.

We have purchased a Commer TS3 L-reg. It used to be a blood transfusion motor, now converted to a camper.

We tried to move the vehicle today, but the back brakes do not appear to be working. My main query is the hand brake lever. It appears to be a Westinghouse unit, but rather than straight forward on-off, it has an extra slot where the lever can be positioned. Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated (sorry about lack of pics)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:17 pm 

Your lorry has lock actuators. These were an earlier attempt, rivalling spring brake actuators, to provide a mechanical handbrake without the necessity for a long lever in the cab and a rod linkage. Look carefully at the handbrake valve and note the lever positions which should be clearly marked - they are stamped into the face plate. . To release the brakes move the lever from the park slot into the slot marked release. IIRC this means lifting the lever and holding it in this position. Now build up the air. With the lever in this position the air will build up to a higher pressure than normal. When the air has built up, let the lever return to its natural rest position and the rear brakes should now be free. If not repeat the procedure and press the brake pedal as you let go of the lever.

If the parking brake seems ineffective then check the oil level in the handbrake valve. There should be some resistance to moving the lever across the gate and then into the park position. If there is no resistanc e then the oil level is low. The reason for 'damped' operation is to give time for air to apply the rear brakes. When the lever stops in the park position balls in the rear brake chambers wedge the brakes applied. A lack of damping is an MOT failure.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:26 pm 

Thanks, 551. We'll try this when we next go to the vehicle, with the intention of bringing it home.

With great appreciation, I wish you and yours a happy and prosperous new year. :) :) :) :) :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:30 am 

I knew that I had answered a query about lock actuators before and been able to find a description on the web , I was unable to find it earlier but now this is below . Having read page 211 you will need to scroll down past the blank pages to see the description of the handbrake valve on page216/ 217. These were a popular fitment to Foden, Atkinson, Bedford and Commer vehicles among others. There were two types of hahandvalve , one for rigids and another for artics. The lever positions were different one to t'other so you will need to read the description and compare your valve gate to the diagram. In short it depends on whether you move the lever towards or away from the seat to park the brake.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZLJ ... er&f=false

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:36 am 

It is not a Westinghouse handbrake unit, but a Clayton Dewandre unit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:50 am 

I had been mildly surprised that you said Westinghouse, because I had thought that most vehicles had a Clayton Dewandre system fitted. The description stands.