AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: AEC 850
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:44 pm 

Hi

I'm looking to re commission an AEC 850 (1933) specifically we're looking for any help with workshop manuals or user hand books. The IWM and Bovington don't have anything in their libraries, does anyone on here have anything in their collection we might be able to copy please?

If not, does anyone know where there may be something?, anything would be very helpful.

There's a good write up about the 850 in Brian Thackray's book including contract and build numbers. Does anyone have any contact information so I can talk to Brian?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Post subject: Re: AEC 850
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:35 am 

There was a manual on ebay recently - think it went for quite a lot though. What engine has it got in it, as I might have a manual that covers the engine.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:45 pm 

Have you tried the REME museum? - used to be at Borden in Hants but I believe it moved recently.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:47 am 

Thanks for the replies.

We haven't picked the Truck up yet but would like to get as much information before we move it. Although I haven't physically checked which engine it is, from the build records and published history I think the engine should be the A162T. It's an AEC rather than an R6T. If you had an engine manual then I'd very much appreciate being able to pay for a copy.

A pity that I missed out on the eBay manual, it would have been a huge help.

The REME museum is still in the process of moving so isn't 100% up and running but we have made contact.

Thanks

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:05 pm 

Ben, I have a manual that covers the 6.1 litre petrol engine, which is what the A162 is (I believe), but most of these early manuals don't actually say what the specific engine type is, unless you also have an associated parts book, then you can work it out from the part numbers. I suspect the manual I have is for the earlier version of the engine, but is probably pretty similar in the majority of details.

If you want to send me a private message I can arrange you a copy of it, if you want.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:33 pm 

Hi Ben
I am unable to provide you with assiatnce for your project. And wish you all the best, and I sure she will look great when she is restoredd. What I would olike to as, is do you have any pictures of her, in her present state ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:17 pm 

I'll post some pictures next week once we get it outside into better light.

Thanks