AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:45 pm 

Hi all,

Thought perhaps you might be interested in my new project - a Mk 1 Militant 6x6 GS. An odd choice some say - but I learnt to drive on these old girls in the Seventies with the Army (RCT VR) so its kind of a memory jerker. Cab needs some (lots) of repair work as does at least one of the drop sides and tail gate but mechanically she is is is very good condition. Only known "mechanical" faults currently are:
    * Pressure relief valve on the distribution valve for the rear axles stuck open.
    * Horn does not work - presumed electrical fault for now
    * Temperature gauge flickers the pegs at 240 deg when engine is revving, reads normally at idle.
    * Engine cut off valve needs adjusting. Lifting the accelerator pedal causes it to start to die but needs to be stalled out in gear to kill the engine.
    * Both window winders are U/S - I'm told Morris Minor ones will fit.
    * New lock needed for the drivers door.

Picture time:

Roof - missing the 4 air defence weapon mounts for some reason

Passenger side of cab - seams need sorting

Drivers side - repairs needed to cab side, wheel arch and indicator/side light mount

Drivers side front drop gate repairs needed

Tail gate repairs needed

Silencer - needs a new one as this was taken before the engine was started. Then it just blew apart on the upper sirface.
[Image

Leading edge of the roof - kind of worried by this taped seam along all 4 edges. Never remember seeing this on the ones I drove.

Bottoms of the doors

Not photographed is the cracked passenger windscreen - I opened it to get at the radiator cap and when I closed it I didn't notice the lower edge of the vehicle frame was swollen with rust. First warning was the screen cracking as I did the catches up :(
Thinking of making up an extension to the ladder on the tailgate so that with the gate up it will reach low enough to cling from the ground and is hinged so that in the stowed position it lays flat against the existing one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:31 pm 

How old is she?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:34 pm 

V5 says 1959.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:02 pm 

Than yo for the reply. Are you trying to find out where she had been over the years, whilst being an Army vehicle?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:30 pm 

Railcar22 wrote:
Than yo for the reply. Are you trying to find out where she had been over the years, whilst being an Army vehicle?

No problems. Cab is a later one - that much I do know as the indicators and sidelights are mounted on top of the wings.
I have her military history already from the RLC Museum at Deepcut. Pretty much all her service life as 16 CL 49 was spent with the RCT (my first Corps) out in BAOR. Left service late in the Eighties.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:06 am 

Good news - the new air brake valve arrived today!!
If the weather is OK then hopefully I can have a go at fitting it next weekend.
I say hopefully because looking at it today - there are more red sealing plugs than I have hose connections!! But the valve does look to be the same if you compare the photos below. So I am hoping the existing one has some blanking units in it.

This is the new valve:

[Image

And this is the old one on the vehicle now:

Finger crossed all will be well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:26 am 

Managed to replace the rear valve with a new one - and it seems the valve is not the problem. What I thought was a relief valve is actually an exhaust valve and I still have a constant air leak from there so the next thing to look at will be the foot pedal valve as that is really the only point where the charged air supply from the compressor and tanks meets the service supply lines. Suggestions are currently to give it a good dose of WD40 to see if something is sticking after the 3 years of sitting and if that fails to cure it, remove this valve and strip it down to check the diaphragms are OK.

Once this is done the next task is to try and find a replacement silencer. Mine basically exploded with the pressure once the engine was run up due to the dreaded tin worm. Thus far I've been unable to find one with the bolt on fittings. Any suggestions as to viable alternatives that don't require hacking the exhaust system about too much, if at all, would be very welcome!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:24 am 

has it got an oil filter system attached to the sump (front end)? Have you thought about fitting a standard sump? I have one if you are interested

จีคลับ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:04 pm 

andyson wrote:
has it got an oil filter system attached to the sump (front end)? Have you thought about fitting a standard sump? I have one if you are interested

จีคลับ

No idea to be honest - I will have a look next time I am over there (next Saturday now).