AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:52 pm 

All,

I am sorry to hear that the DVLA at Swansea are no longer accepting copies of AEC owners vehicles chassis build sheets, as proof of reclaiming original registration marks.
Chassis build sheets, usually showing a vehicles allocated registration mark, have been available from The British Commercial Vehicle Museum at Leyland for many years.
No reasonable explanation for this move has been given, and I am inviting all AEC owners affected by this to share their experiences and hopefully present a case to the DVLA to reverse this decision.

Regards, Martyn Callaghan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:23 pm 

Martyn

I successfully obtained a lost registration for an AEC coach owned by a local operator by providing evidence from a PSV Circle publication about Devon General which showed the chassis number against that registration. Following inspection of the vehicle by the local DVLA office (now closed!) to verify its chassis number, its original registration was regained in place of the TSV registration issued to it following a period unlicensed by a previous owner. Having regained its original registration (4 RDV), that will remain with it forever and cannot ever be transferred (thank goodness!)

Hope this helps,

Philip Platt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

Wow...a registration like that which could be transferred would be very valuable. Maybe the DVLA are making it more difficult because they want to cash in on reg's like that themselves?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:46 am 

Martyn - documents such as you mention are critical in the process of regaining "lost" registrations and there must be another factor involved to cause your application to be rejected.

The DVLA themselves do not get involved with the verification of documents and they require this to be done by nominated club representatives who provide certified copies for submission to the DVLA. I do not know if the AEC Society has such a representative but if not this is not an issue as any club representative must handle applications for both their members and non-members, although the fee may differ.

In addition to documents such as that, the vehicle has to have had an inspection carried out and the report, along with other required documents, have to be inspected and verified by the club representative.

My experience, as a representative for another society, is that if you furnish the DVLA with all the correct documents, suitably verified, they will re-issue the registration promply and without question.

If you want to know any more about the process, do please ask.

John

PS - a note concerning the comment from "Admin" about the value of such registrations. A re-issued "lost" registration is never transferrable. In my experience, nor are previously-used registrations sold/auctioned by the DVLA, only those for never-used batches.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:42 pm 

I recently had to get a Russian UAZ re-registered after the previous owner lost both the chassis plate and the paperwork. DVLA would not issue the original number without physical proof of the vehicles ID and vehicles supplied to the Soviet army did not have the chassis number stamped on to the chassis, they had it painted on. No prizes for guessing what had happened to that. I was required to provide written confirmation of the vehicles age by an official of a DVLA authorised owners club in order to get an age related plate issued. DLVA were kind enough to send me a copy of their booklet listing their approved clubs.
Needless to say none of the clubs catering to WarPac vehicles was on it but a e-mail to DVLA listing the ones that did got authorisation to use one of them.

Perhaps in this case all that is needed is to contact DVLA and get the AEC Society registered as one of their approved clubs/associations - you will need a volunteer/volunteers to act as verification officer(s) who will be listed as such by DVLA and who's names will be acceptable on letters of authenticity??