AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:12 pm 

Hi,

I am currently working on a Mandator MkII, and have the N/S rear hub off. The felt seals are retained in an alloy casting bolted to the axle.
The felt had shrunk, so I've obtained 2 lengths of bearing felt to cut to size length-wise.

My questions are:
1. How tight a fit in the alloy casting should the felt be, once cut? Do I cut it long enough to be a tight fit at the joint?
2. Does the felt need soaking in oil before fitting? The hubs are grease-filled, not oil-filled.
The felt that's come out doesn't appear to be oil-soaked, but it's pretty well soaked with old grease.
3. How much grease needs to be packed into the hub upon re-fitting it? Does the entire hub cavity require to be packed solid?

Any Help much appreciated on these questions.

Richard Roper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:53 pm 

A new felt will be about 5/8 " thick so clearly thicker than what came out. The end will butt up tight in the housing. If you then fit the hub without any seals you will find that there is considerable drag from the felt when turning the hub. If the felt is not oiled then it will burn as the vehicle is driven. In reality it needs a light soaking, ie enough to retain oil but not enough to squeeze out everywhere and make a mess.

Does the hub use oil seals or a bellows gland? If seals add a couple of good hand fulls of grease to the hub cavity. It must not be anywhere near full. If there is an outer seal running on the face of the nut then this must be fitted lip outermost; it is there to stop oil from the diff reaching the hub.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:13 pm 

cav551 wrote:
A new felt will be about 5/8 " thick so clearly thicker than what came out. The end will butt up tight in the housing. If you then fit the hub without any seals you will find that there is considerable drag from the felt when turning the hub. If the felt is not oiled then it will burn as the vehicle is driven. In reality it needs a light soaking, ie enough to retain oil but not enough to squeeze out everywhere and make a mess.

Does the hub use oil seals or a bellows gland? If seals add a couple of good hand fulls of grease to the hub cavity. It must not be anywhere near full. If there is an outer seal running on the face of the nut then this must be fitted lip outermost; it is there to stop oil from the diff reaching the hub.

Many Thanks for your reply!

To be honest I'm not entirely sure if it's a bellows gland or oil seals - I've removed the hub as a complete unit with bearings in place, and there's a set of spacers come out with the hub - My guess is that it uses oil seals. I'll have a look next time I'm over with the vehicle. If so, I'll oil the felt and pack the hub as you say, without filling it.

The Hub nut tightens straight onto the outer wheel bearing as far as I remember - Again, I'll have to check this when I go over.

Many Thanks once again,

Richard.