AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dennis bodied AEC Swift
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:31 pm 

Apparently it got as far as the layout stage.

One of these 'looking for something else' stories yet again. I was searching for details of the Dennis Pax IIA bus, particularly the demonstrator with the front entrance and discovered the following:

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/asset ... A-to-E.pdf

which is a PDF listing of the Dennis Brothers Ltd drawings held in Surrey County Council Archives. On Page 14 the following Item appears.

Bus AEC Swift 24/06/1966 Standard AR 524
Proposed layout of 51 seat single deck
bus on AEC Swift chassis 1463/P/11665

AR524 was the Dennis Drawing Number and 1463/P/11665 is the Surrey County Council accession number.

The drawing was made in June 1966 and I wonder whether it was a kite-flying exercise or did Dennis actually tender to an AEC Swift customer.

Anybody know?

Anybody able to get down to Guildford or wherever Surrey CC Archives are and take a look at the drawing?

Surely one of the stranger might have beens...

Stephen Allcroft
Cardross
Scotland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:25 am 

I didn't realise Dennis had ever been interested in bodying anything other than their own chassis. But a little further down the list there are three Bedfords, dated 1957, 1970 and 1972. (I presume "V 45 2" is a misreading of a handwritten "VAS2".)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:50 pm 

As far as I can recall they had a regular customer for bodies on Bedfords in the form of wheelchair accessible schoolbuses for the London County Council, when I looked at the Dennis PAX IIA psv list they and other London Councils were also the main customer.

http://www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/index ... pe=Chassis

I'm wondering about the Merseyside Fire Brigade example:was that the demonstrator shown at the 1964 Motor Show?

Here's a Dennis bodied Bedford C4.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7240226@N ... Dzb-74KCGs

To get things closer to on-topic as far as I can work out the nearest customers to Guildford for single door AEC Swifts were City of Oxford and Red Rover.

Stephen Allcroft
Cardross
Scotland

That V 45 2 for VAS2 could be an optical character recognition error. Commercial Motor's Archive is riddled with them.