AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:48 pm 

As a recent new member, I am hoping somebody has knowledge of vintage engines which were probably fitted to the original London buses made by AEC in the late 1920's. My interest is not buses but a 1928 tractor called a Rushton which I am attempting to restore on a National Trust Tudor Farm in Sussex. This tractor is on loan to the NT and owned by the granddaughter of George Rushton who was The General Manager of AEC in the mid 1920's who approached the then owner Lord Ashcroft to manufacture a tractor to compete with Fordson. Although I have quite a lot of information including the original blue prints, I do not know whether the engine is an early Fordson Model F, manufactured between 1917-1929 or perhaps a similar 32HP Side Valve as used by AEC.

In the September of 1928 when Rushton Tractors were first manufactured, the Chief Engineer from Fordson Tractors at Dagenham was employed on a salary of £500/year and it has been suggested that these early Rushton's were based on the Fordson incorporating some superior features and were sold at £195, £45 dearer that the Fordson Model N at £150.

Hoping that some members with knowledge of engines used in these early years can help me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:38 pm 

Have you looked in "The AEC Story, Part 1", by Brian Thackeray, as there are a couple of pictures of the prototype in it on page 112. I guess there is also mention of the project in the the text. The prototype was badged as "General".

Nick