AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:18 pm 

Hi There,

I am currently working on my Regal IV 9823E1982 ex m/o2914 (Department of Government Transport / Public Transport Commission of NSW, chassis built 1956-57) which is part of the Sydney Bus Museum Collection.

I have struck a dilemma whilst cleaning up the chassis rails. I am aware that earlier model chassis were exported with silver paint, but all of the chassis areas I have come across on mine appear to be painted in a red primer. I have therefore been painting any chassis parts I clean up in red.

When I removed part of the box under the driver's feet (which came with the chassis from Southall) to replace some rusted panels in the front platform area I discovered silver paint in an area not previously visible. Can someone please advise me whether my chassis should be painted red or silver?

1975 at Circular Quay, Sydney, near the end of her career.

Currently at the Sydney Bus Museum in the Old Leichhardt Tramshed

Work to replace rusted panels around the front platform, the red primer is new.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:23 pm 

Hi Rick,
I used to work at an AEC Dealer and a local bus company for over 20 years. At the dealer, we did not see many buses, mostly the trucks, from AEC Mercury, Marshall Mandator etc. When the new chassis came in from the factory, they were painted a flat red lead colour. Similar to what they painted the bottom of ships.
After I worked at the dealer, at started to work for a bus company and they had many AEC Reliance. It was the bus company's policy, after every MOT, they painted the chassis silver. Maybe this is where you are being confused, by what colour to paint it. Good Luck with your restoration.

Best Regards

Bill