AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ethanol brake addative
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:58 pm 

Hi, once again i am seeking advise, my Mandator has an Ethanol system in the brakes, there is a tankin the cab with an inlet (filtered)and this is then piped to the inlet of the commpresor, i was at a show recently and told that adding ethanol will improove the air preasure what are your thoughts on this and if so where would i get some ethanol to put in the tank i would say its maybee 1/2 pint sized
thanks Graham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:44 pm 

Hi Graham

Hearsay from "experts" causing you problems.

Ethanol is an additive to airbrake systems to prevent icing in frosty weather. The alcohol is mixed automatically with the damp air to lower the freezing point and prevent valves and drain taps from becoming blocked with ice. Only required in winter weather.

Does not increase air pressure in the system. This is set by safety unloader valve and pressure regulator valve to manufacture's spec.

You could try truck auto factors like Big Wheels.

Hope this helps

Regards Adrian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:15 am 

I would be very worried about having (M)ethanol in the cab, it is highly inflammable and burns with a flame that is difficult to see. It will also make you high breathing in the vapour. The place for it is on the chassis.

It is, as said, used to prevent the air system freezing in cold weather. The injector unit usually has a tap to turn it on and off.

If you seriously intend to use the vehicle in weather conditions which would warrant taking precautions against the air system freezing then you would really be better off installing an air drier complete with heater element. You would need expert advice since the Mandator uses an unloader valve to control air pressure from the compressor; the air drier unit will take over this function, but will need to be plumbed in correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:29 pm 

Totally agree.

All vehicles I operated with this system had external reservoirs.

Only re-pipe necessary to move.

Please remember windchill factor when driving, this can cause freezing when you don't expect.

Draining reservoirs daily in use is a good precaution.

Thanks to other contributor, for reminding me to mention external reservoirs for reason he stated.

He is quite correct about fumes.