AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Air Loss
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:51 pm 

Hello all, please can anyone help, i have just purchesed a Mantadore MKV with a 691 engine, on sat i brought it home with around a 150 mile trip, ran like a dream a little more noisey than i had expected but im sure i will get used to that.
Went to move it yesterday and could not get an air reading on the servise tank, the emergency tank was showeing 40 psi and the brakes were working i could not find any sighn of an air leak.
has any one any ideas i am scratching my head ?????

Post subject: Re: Air Loss
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:44 pm 

Hi Graham,
I use to work at an AEC dealer and a bus company, who had many AECs, for over 20 years. What I recommend, is going to be a process of elimination. First, spray all your air pipe connections with WD40, hoping later they will break free. First, start the engine and see if you can hear any air leaks, along the chassis. From either the foot brake valve, or the un-loader. If you hear any leaks, they will have to be repaired first. Before moving through the system, to check for blockages. Start at your compressor, disconnect the compressor outlet pipe. Place your thumb over the pipe end and try and see if it blows your thumb off. Then try and feel if it is compressing on two cylinders, reconnect the pipe, if it is. Next, if it has a condensation/moisture valve, see if it producing air from the outlet. Move along to the un-loader valve, try and disconnect to outlet pipe, which runs to the first service tank and see if there is air there. From the compressor, to where you have checked, with old trucks and high mileage. The compressor starts to pass oil, into the system and carbons any ports up. If you have air at the first service tank. The pipe to the second tank, should have a segregating valve (One Way Check Valve). You have to disconnect the outlet to the check valve and see if there is air there. Does the foot brake valve, have two or four pipes, connected to it? If there is two, then it has a single air brake system, if there is four, it is a tandem system. The two line system, will have a air pipe coming from the front service tank and the other to the brakes. If it is a tandem system, it will have an air pipe, from the front tank and one from the rear tank, then to the front and rear brakes. Please let me know, what you have found and I will try and help you further. Good Luck

Take Care
Bill