AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GVVT Bridgeton 13/10/10
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:42 pm 

Dear Neil,
As promised here are some images I took at the GVVT Open day at Bridgeton Garage on Sunday 13th October 2013, On the occasion of the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust Running Day. The AEC, Park Royal, Maudslay and Thornycroft ones I shall post in the AEC folder and the rest in the Other Marques, although strictly Thornycroft was an independent when Croft bodied the Nippy for Macbraynes and did not become part of ACV until eleven years later.
I missed three AECs at the event, one was a Mercury Showman’s van that left early and the other two were SGD500 the last surviving Glasgow Regent V and a 1976 Reliance 760 Plaxton Supreme because both were parked over the pits.
I was pleased to note that for the first time First Glasgow, Stagecoach and McGill’s all showed up. First staff handing out goodie-packs to children whilst Stagecoach were letting people be pictured in the driving seat of a new Citylink Plaxton Panther.

A novelty was a fairground organ and sadly there was one mechanical failure in the late afternoon (the MCW Metrorider) however the last surviving Leyland-DAB Lion was a most capable replacement.
Images as follows: AEC folder first

12m 691

This picture, in the main parking area of Bridgeton bus garage, shows off a unique vehicle, one that only worked in revenue earning service rarely and toward the end of its life. VMP10G was the only Reliance 691 6U3ZR fitted with a 12m Alexander Y Type B57F body, although it is fitted with coach-style wide windows, the other nine 12m Y (and AY)-types were also on Reliance 691s and they were three 6U2R C49F for Hebble Motor Services of Halifax and six 6U3ZR C53F for Premier Travel of Cambridge. This particular bus was commissioned by the Road Transport Industry Training Board, and only became a PSV after they were abolished. It carries a version of the livery of the recently deceased WJC operation. Last time I rode in it, two years ago, it was a sparkling performer.

Attachments:
File comment: 12m AEC Reliance 691, new RTITB 1969
12m 691.jpg
12m 691.jpg [ 986.84 KiB | Viewed 2062 times ]