AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: aec fuel bowser
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:55 pm 

I am working at a skydiving centre in North Lincolnshire who have an AEC fuel bowser that they have asked me to find some history on. There are a number of plates with numbers on, one of which I am sure will be the chassis number. I wondered if someone might be able to assist in helping to point me in the right direction as to where I could find out a bit about the vehicle.

There is talk of it possibly being sold, but not scrapped as they are aware it is quite a vintage vehicle. So far I have managed to work out its circa 1960 but thats about it as there are no registration plates on the vehicle.

I have read the previous fuel bowser post and I have emailed the British Commercial Vehicle Museum asking for their assistance with this. Ive tried to attach a picture of a similar bowser I came across in my search. I can post pics of this bowser if that would aid in the search, but its currently raining heavily, so will be at a later date :D

Attachment:
scammel bowser.jpg
scammel bowser.jpg [ 128.49 KiB | Viewed 4881 times ]

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: aec fuel bowser
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:16 am 
Site Admin

Well that's a great photo anyway!! Look forward to seeing your one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:21 pm 

here are a few photos of the bowser in question

Attachments:
1photo.jpg
1photo.jpg [ 176.25 KiB | Viewed 4837 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:23 pm 

here are a few photos of the bowser in question

Attachments:
photo.jpg
photo.jpg [ 203.35 KiB | Viewed 4837 times ]
5photo.jpg
5photo.jpg [ 249.01 KiB | Viewed 4837 times ]
4photo.jpg
4photo.jpg [ 248 KiB | Viewed 4837 times ]
2photo.jpg
2photo.jpg [ 222.81 KiB | Viewed 4837 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:26 pm 

so obviously its not as good condition as the first picture that was uploaded and needs a "bit" of work.

I have also found a plate with the following on - body number "52276 PRV"

Anyone able to advise where I might be able to locate the chassis number as the RAF Museum have been very helpful with a few bits, obviously the main thing missing from ours is a registration plate and/or v5 - lost in time, so tracing the history back is proving a bit challenging.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

It is a Mandator Mark V, model 2G4RA, manufactured for the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm between 1966 and 1969. I think that only 20 or so of this model were built. As shown by the photos, it carried a 4,000 gallon refuelling tank and associated hoses, filtration and pumping equipment manufactured by Gloster Saro. Ancillary equipment (metering, couplings etc)would have come from firms such as Avery Hardoll and Zwicky.

The number 52276 PRV is presumably the Park Royal Vehicles serial number for the cab.

It is possible that the chassis number might be stamped on the nearside (left hand) chassis rail, in the vicinity of the rear spring hanger. Typically, it would be in the format 2G4RA 12345. If that is there and can be deciphered, the chassis build sheet can be obtained from Leyland.

I doubt that the vehicle has ever been registered with a V5. It would have carried RN plates whilst in military service and thereafter when operating on an airport it probably carried no registration at all. Indeed, with 4,000 gallons carried on just two axles, it would not be legal to drive the laden vehicle on UK roads.

Judging by the colours peeping through the algae, I suspect that after release from the Fleet Air Arm it was put into use by JET Petroleum, which I think tended to operate mainly at airports along the East Coast.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:54 am 

kris1974 wrote:
I have also found a plate with the following on - body number "52276 PRV"

Anyone able to advise where I might be able to locate the chassis number as the RAF Museum have been very helpful with a few bits, obviously the main thing missing from ours is a registration plate and/or v5 - lost in time, so tracing the history back is proving a bit challenging.

PRV is for Park Royal Vehicles; serial 52276 for the cab dates from 1964.

The chassis number should be stamped into the chassis frame close to the nearside front wheel. (See below for an example of the chassis number). If it's possible to turn the front wheels full lock it should give you space to get yer nut under the wheelarch with a torch :-)

Neil F.

ps, the photo of the restored Mandator VAM116D with the Vulcan at Newark is by Gyles Carpenter. Its Ministry reg is 75RN12 and the chassis number 3G4RA3257.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Neil:

Interesting that you quote the chassis number of the restored refueller as 3G4RA3257.

I note from Graham Edge's book on the Mandator that he does not give 3G4RA as an option for Mandator chassis numbers. Is this something Graham has missed?

Regards

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:13 am 

Best of luck with the hunt. I had a look at www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk which has a list of Park Royal production, but lists for lorry cabs, as with bodies for cars, are not particularly detailed. The cab would have been built between March and October 1964.

Stephen Allcroft
Cardross
Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:05 pm 

I am also looking for some details of my AEC MANDATOR REG PLP 656E after coming across another one for sale on ebay and the vendor stating there were only 5 of this build format in the UK I started looking
Attachment:
waggon june 2014 002.JPG
waggon june 2014 002.JPG [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 4396 times ]
this is mine if anyone has any information I would be glad to hear from you
graham