AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unknown AEC Matador (?)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:08 pm 

Can anyone help me with a query regarding a possible AEC Matador.

I have a photo of what seems to be some sort of Matador with Fylde Borough Transport. There are some changes that have been made and as a consequence im now unsure which type it is if it is an AEC at all.

The vehicle was running on trade plates but does not have any reg plate on what soever all i can get from it was the trade plate was 2521 B.

It carried some sort of modified custom bodywork on the vehicle that does not appear as normal and had four headlights built into the front panel,

This is somewhat of a mystery as there are no records of an AEC Matador being operated by the company

Attachments:
File comment: This is the strange AEC Matador?
M.jpg
M.jpg [ 97.13 KiB | Viewed 5882 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:27 am 

This is a fairly standard AEC Matador civilian recovery conversion.
It looks sightly out of proportion because it has been fitted with smaller wheels and tyres, probably to match the standard type used by the rest of the council fleet.
It has a Harvey Frost recovery crane and contemporary coach built body probably built in the 1960's.

This Matador does not appear in the records as it is running on Trade Plates , registration not being compulsory until 1987. If the chassis number is known a more positive identification can be made.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 am 

The Fylde Borough identity dates the shot to somewhere between 1974 and the end of the Lytham St Annes identity and October 1986 when the Blue Buses brand was adopted. I have a fleet history of the operator and this matador is not pictured in it But I'll check whether it is listed tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:18 pm 

I've checked Phillip Higgs fleet history of Lytham St Annes /Fylde Borough/ Blue Buses and it isn't mentioned in the text of pictured.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:05 pm 

Might be a bit late and you might have found out already. Just picked up this thread. The Matador is O853 7125. It was with West Bromwich then West Midlands PTE. It was bought by Lansdowne Coaches of Morecambe who were acquired by Fylde.
Fleet lists often ignore service vehicles. I have not found any record of Lythams earlier Ford truck.
John Harrington