AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 am 

G'day from Australia,
I am presently rebuilding an AEC Marshall (I believe) and at the moment have the chassis rails out so as to get the rust from between the flanges,all is going well. It is an 8 wheel Ergo with a bit of work to do.Is there anyone out there in AEC land that may be able to give me an idea what the age of the vehicle is in terms of production date.The Assembly No: is 306-2996, The Chassis No: is 3171-S, The Engine Type & No: is AV505-5AMX-15039,and the Model Type: is TGM8-RAE-M. I believe TGM8-R is for Tilt/Goods/Medium weight/8 wheeler, and right hand drive,but what does the AE-M stand for.Is there anything in these figures that relates to differential type, diff ratios or rear suspension type, being the heavy six rod with the trunnion block mounted on the side of the chassis rail and the springs hanging below it.It has banjo type diffs not worm drive ones. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:35 am 

G'day from Darwin,Ergo
You seem to have in your possession a very rare (in this part of the world) Marshal-Major.
It is,in effect,a Low Weight Mammoth Major.
I find your mention of removing rust from between the chassis rails interesting.It should only have a single skin chassis
but this far into its life anything could have been done by various owners.
I have an AEC Australian Mustang.It should be single rail also but has been doubled from the back of the cab.Fortuneately
there is no sign of corrosion in the chassis.
Until now I was not aware of any Marshal-Majors being in Aus.But having an "E" designation rules out a second hand import
of which there were many in the 60s and 70s.Also the "Assembly No." (which doesn't mean anything much to anyone except
LMA) is a sort of LMA job number.
TGM8....Tilt cab..........Goods....Medium weight......8 wheeler
RAE-M.....Right hand drive......Articulated rear suspension (single point or 6 rod as we Aussies might say).....
..........Export chassis. The "-M" has me beat.It may have to do with it being a Marshal-Major,but the "M8" has already
told us that.
The "A" should also mean that you have straight chassis rails.Not "waisted" behind the steer axles as would a chassis with
a "B" designation riding on AEC 4 spring balance beam suspension.
Marshal-Majors were built between 1968-72,so the number 3171 would,in my estimation,make it a '68/69 build.
The suffix "-S" is another mystery to me. If this was an twin steer Albion Reiver then the "-S" would designate an
8 wheel Reiver as opposed to a Cameronian......there's a subtle difference.As well as that a Cameronian would have a CA81
chassis designation.
The hypoid "banjo" diffs are standard on export Marshals,optional on Home chassis.
The 'other' type of diff you refer to is not a worm drive rather a Double Reduction Bevel Drive top loader.
Any chance you could email me some pics of your AEC when you have a moment.

kuyabanda@bigpond.com

Good Luck and keep us posted with further developments.

R/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 pm 

G'day R/ from Darwin,

Thankyou for the greatly appreciated information on the data on my old AEC Have just arrived home tonightafter being away for the week so I will send you an e'mail.

Kind Regards,

Kevin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:09 am 

G'day LGM4RA in Darwin

Have been trying to send you an e'mail without any luck.Maybe you could confirm your e'mail address with me and I'll have another go.
Cheers for now.

Regards,

Kevin / Brisbane

kevinheather74@hotmail.com