AEC Noticeboards The AEC NOTICEBOARDS
ADVERTS • PHOTOS • DISCUSSION
Celebrating the products of AEC Southall Ltd, most famous as builder of London's buses.

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:44 am 

Hi I have a 1962 AEC Reliance that was re-bodied in the 70's with a Plaxton Panorama Elite Body. I have had however a problem with the lighting in that I have lost the 4 main ceiling mounted fluorescent internal lights, the smaller nights are fine and work. I have 24 volts at the switch but no voltage at the tubes. Now I am assuming there is a control / step up box that boosts the power from 24v so it powers the tubes but I can't find where this is housed as I'm assuming this is where the problem may lie? Can anyone lend any advice. Many Thanks I have attached some pictures.

Attachments:
securedownload-9.jpeg
securedownload-9.jpeg [ 569.26 KiB | Viewed 3993 times ]
securedownload-8.jpeg
securedownload-8.jpeg [ 443.18 KiB | Viewed 3993 times ]
securedownload-7.jpeg
securedownload-7.jpeg [ 617.46 KiB | Viewed 3993 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:01 pm 

If you have 4 lights not working it is more likely to be wiring, but start with the basics -power to the switch -after the switch - any fuses in the front panel blown.Some of these lighting systems were alternator controlled through a relay.

The flouresents work through a invertor (aka ballast) these could be located anywhere ! , usually they work individual lights and other times a pair ........the reason I feel it is wiring or connection is that if the 1st light is not working then it could be a fault between the switch and the 1st invertor. Try Cobus for a diagram they have a lot of old Plaxton stuff. If you require new invertors try Invertec direct or Carlyle Bus & Coach . Where abouts are you based ? Be interested to know how you get on. Can send me a PM if you wish to talk.

Peter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:14 pm 

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply, I'm based in Kent / South London. Have checked the fuses and all ok there. It's just trying to find the ballast / inverter and check this. I've had a few panels off and can't find any just wiring with no power. Don't think it's an alternator / relay system.

Thanks Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:21 am 

Update - I found the Ballasts / Inverters midway down the vehicle in the roof by the air blowers one each side. (Thanks to Rich - Yelloway Project). One was a loose connection into the ballast and one ballast was faulty (£15 swap over service from Alliance Electronics, Sheffield) We now have light!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:37 pm 

Hi

I am guessing you have one of the ex East Kent Reliances. If so which one as I owned 521 FN back in the 90's

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:03 am 

Yes you're quite right it's 531 FN a sister vehicle, have had it since 1992 /93. Don't think many are around now, what happened to yours?